NACE (AMPP) CIP Level 1 COATING INSPECTOR TRAINING
For over 30 years, the NACE and SSPC coating inspection certifications have set the global standard for inspectors in the protective coatings industry. Organizations recognize and specify the NACE Coating Inspector Certification Program (CIP) and SSPC Protective Coatings Inspector (PCI) programs due to its comprehensive, hands-on practical testing methods which validate an individual’s knowledge, skills, and experience and elevate the skills of those in the industry. The new AMPP Coatings Inspector Program is equivalent to these existing credentials and will eventually replace them as the specified standard for coatings inspection in the industry.
Who is the Coating Inspector Program for?
This program is designed for anyone pursuing a career in coatings inspection or that want to have a greater knowledge of protective coatings for any number of assets (pipelines, storage tanks, key infrastructure, and more). The curriculum is comprehensive and combines classroom study, discussion, and hands-on practice, the program provides a solid coatings foundation that strengthens the industry’s inspectors and their practices.
Who should pursue and apply?
- Program/project managers and engineers
- Quality assurance/control managers
- Contractors and specification writers
- Coating manufacturers and technical sales representatives
- Paint applicators and blasters
- Maintenance personnel
Course learning objectives
- Recognize how corrosion forms and the role protective coatings play in preventing corrosion
- Describe the role of the inspector as it applies to responsibilities, authority, safety, ethics, communication, and decision-making
- Differentiate surface preparation equipment, methods, and standards for solvent cleaning, hand/power tool cleaning, wet/dry abrasive blasting, and waterjetting
- Identify quality control issues, recognizing design and fabrication defects and coating failure modes
- Recognize coating types, modes of protection, and curing mechanisms
- Differentiate coating application by type, including brush, roller, airless, conventional, and plural component spray
- Utilize job specifications, safety/product data sheets, and a variety of inspection report documentation
- Perform non-destructive inspection procedures for environmental conditions, visible/nonvisible contaminants, surface profile, film thickness, and holiday detection under the supervision of a qualified inspector
- Comply with the AMPP Coating Inspector Code of Conduct
Course completion and end of course exam
Successful completion of the course is required to earn a certificate of course completion. Requirements are specific to each course and may include a combination of attendance, daily assessments, activities, quizzes, or knowledge checks. A practical exam is administered at the end of the course. Successful completion of the exam is required to earn a certificate of completion.
Certification requirements include the practical exam administered at the end of course, along with an exam delivered via computer-based testing (CBT).
The multiple-choice CBT exam is scheduled separately from the course and delivered via Pearson VUE. The initial CBT exam is included with the course registration. Any Exam retake will incur additional cost to the applicant.
An approved recertification application is required every 3 years. The work experience requirement for renewals for all certifications is one and half (1.5) years for the most recent three (3) year period. Additionally, some certifications have other requirements related to responsibility in charge.
As you prepare for renewal, please visit My Certification Portal to log and manage your work experience and Professional Development Hours (PDH’s) needed. Your work experience and PDH’s will be submitted as part of your renewal application but you can input PDH’s at any time. See the certification renewal guide for PDH’s requirements, our sample training PDH guide, and our PDH how-to videos.
Certification holders are required to pay a non-refundable processing fee for renewal.
NOTE: AMPP reserves the right to return any incomplete applications or those that do not meet the requirements. All application fees are non-refundable. To avoid processing delays or forfeiture of fees, please ensure that the application is complete, meets all the requirements and payment has been received.